Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

What Are 5 Things That You Have Learned Today?

What Have You Learned Today?

You learn something every day. You may think back on your day and say, “Today seemed pretty ordinary, I must not have learned anything.” This is wrong. If you think about it the right way you will realize that you picked up some tidbit of information that you may have not originally thought was new to you. These can be small, but they’re always there.

There is one reason that I think of things this way and I “blame” it on my mom. When I was in middle school, every day that I saw her after school she would ask me, “So, what did you learn today.” 95% of the time I told her that I hadn’t learned a single thing the whole day. This went on for a long time, with me continuing every day saying that I hadn’t learned anything. After a while I started noticing when I learned something new more often. I would write down at least a few things that I had learned during the day. Most times it was random facts; I have always loved knowing as many random facts as possible, but sometimes it would be simple nuances about somebody that I didn’t know before. Being a stubborn middle school kid, I kept it to myself and kept telling her that I didn’t learn anything. Oops. 

I’m not going to pretend that I do this every day, but I do it often enough. I don’t often write them down like I used to. I feel that I’m at the point that if I just think about the things that I learned in a day, it is good enough for me. I think that doing this has opened my eyes to being able to judge people’s character more easily and realize how often you actually learn something new. If you don’t realize that you are learning, it doesn’t stick in your memory as well. Try to look at the world through a different lens and think back to what you did today and pick out 5 things that you learned today.

5 Things That I Learned Today

1. Subway Has Free WiFi-

Image from Subway.com
               Today I was studying hard for my anatomy lab quiz today (muscles that move the elbow and wrist) and I needed a break from my environment and needed food. Instead of wasting time cooking I took a trip to Subway with my notes and computer in tow. Not knowing whether I could use the internet at Subway I was prepared to go to the Library after I ate. Instead as I was walking in I saw a sign saying “Free WiFi” so I got a sub and camped out for a few hours.

I think I did well on the quiz as well.

2. How to Properly Front Squat-

               During my workout today I decided to front squat. This is something that I haven’t done too often throughout my life and I wasn’t exactly sure how to do it. So I used my observation skills and mimicked someone to the best of my ability, but I felt way too much pressure in my wrists. When I got home I looked up how to front squat better so that next time I can do much better.
              
  Taking a few fingers off the bar when you front squat will relieve the pressure on your wrists.

I read a great article on proper form and how to front squat more at T-Nation Front Squat Tips

3. I know Spanish a LOT Better Now Than the Beginning of the Semester-

               We had an in-class essay today and it went incredibly well. The words just flowed onto my paper without too much effort. This is a pretty nice observation because I would really like to keep improving.

4. I Haven’t Reached a Plateau on my Dead-Lift Yet-

               I was worried that I was about to plateau in Deadlift after having a poor showing during last week’s deadlift day. I was sore for a few days and I probably over-did it a little. Taking the weekend off and feeding my body a little more than usual did great for my recovery and today I set my new Personal Best at 195Kg. I want to keep moving up and be around 215Kg in the next month or so.

5. I Haven’t Been Drinking Enough Water-

               I had been doing so well, for the longest period of time in my life, drinking enough water each and every single day. Just today I realized that the last 2 weeks I have been drinking about ¼ of what I had been drinking. I’m going to blame this on becoming content with drinking water as I felt I needed it, and that it’s harder to drink a lot of water when it’s cold outside. So, as of today, I’m drinking a ton of water again. Yay me!

               Think of one thing that you learned or realized today. If you have time please comment yours below. I would love to read all of your newly found knowledge. If you have a lot of time, list as many as you feel necessary. The more comments, the happier I will be. :)

Today’s Workout-

6x6 Slow on the way down Pull-ups
3x6 then 3x2 then 1x1 Deadlift
3x6 Front Squat
3x6 T-Bar Rows
4x8 Inverted Bodyweight Rows

4x6 Cable Rows

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions or Concerns? Ask